The National Work Zone Safety Information Clearinghouse was created through a cooperative agreement between the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and American Road & Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA) for the purpose of assembling and disseminating information relating to improvement of roadway work zone safety. Under contract with ARTBA, Texas A&M Transportation Institute (TTI) manages the Clearinghouse website and day-to-day operations.
Since it was launched in 1998, the Clearinghouse website has received over 1.5 million visitors from all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and over 30 countries around the world. The Clearinghouse is considered to be the world’s largest online library on roadway work zone safety including: crash data, best practices, key safety engineer contact information, laws and regulations, standards, manuals, guidelines, news and research publications, public awareness campaigns, safety products, training and educational materials, and foreign language materials. The Clearinghouse has received numerous awards, the most recent being the 2008 International Road Federation’s Global Road Achievement Awards.
- created the current custom design based on the site’s previous established design elements
- developed a custom WordPress theme
- set custom page layouts to work with custom fields for content updates
- built the site using responsive design to accommodate all device widths and sizes
- migrated the site from its former Drupal installation to WordPress